Monday, October 1, 2018

Bielski Brothers Story Told by Rae Kushner

As I went in the summer of 2018 to visit the towns in which my family immigrated from in Belarus, Lithuania, and Latvia I got to see a small town where my great grand father Lazar Bielsky was born in a town called Molcadt Belarus (multiple ways to spell it based on which language you speak).  He became a rabbi by graduating from the yeshiva in Zhetl (now called Zdzieciol) also in Belarus.

As I came to the small town and did my research I came to find out that Rae Kushner grandmother of Jared Kushner was from a town not far from there. She was known for escaping the Zyde Ghetto for the forest where the Bielski brothers set up a camp to fight and hide until liberation came.

For my records I'll upload photos and stories of my trip but it's telling of our worlds past in Rae Kushners story told here:
https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn504520

The photos below are from the towns of Molchad, Belarus in present day 2018. The location is approximately 2.5 hours away from the city of Minsk. From Molchad I ventured to Zdzieciol Bialorus which is present day the town of Dzyatlava.













































 
Official website